Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Disclaimer

For those of you who know me personally, you know why I began this blog. For those who do not, I'd like to tell you "why."

First off, it's funny to me to say that I blog - no offense to my fellow bloggers out there - I subscribe to many beautifully written blogs and you don't write fluff!  But I have a science degree, I've worked in the healthcare industry since I was 18 years old, and I've been in clinical research for several years, therefore when I write, I do so based on what I have read in medical journals.  I present what's established by the medical community.

I was an inquisitive child and I am an inquisitive adult, therefore I am always asking the question "why."  When my son was diagnosed in utero with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, I had A Lot of questions.  Four repairs later (Arch repair, Norwood, Glenn, Fontan) I still have questions.  Why the Arch repair? Our doctors thought Carter had a chance at being two ventricle. Why it didn't work and he had to become single ventricle? It just didn't work for him. Some questions are easier to answer.

Over the past seven years I have met many heart families. An amazing bunch you all are I've learned. Some of their children are doing great, some struggle, and some we have lost. That makes me ask WHY??  Some questions are harder to answer.

My son has HLHS. The future is bright, but there will always be questions.

So that's why I write this blog.

And here's my disclaimer:

I am not a doctor; I do not give medical advice. I'm just a mom of a heart kid who will always have questions. I hope that through my asking questions I can answer some of yours too.

Julie

2 comments: