Thursday, May 14, 2015

Life as a Teenager with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome

As a heart mom of a pre-teen with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, I often think about the difficulties teenagers face as they are thrust into their changing world.  I worry about the dangers out there; drugs, alcohol, risky behavior. I worry about bullying, social groups and the need for all teenagers to "fit in."  What about the challenge of sports or other extracurricular activities?  Will our HLHSrs face more difficulties because of their heart condition?  There isn't a manual about this. Our kids do not come with a How-To guide. There are studies that demonstrate decreased exercise performance as children become older, but I have read so many wonderful stories about teenagers living very happy, normal lives. I have many more questions and there is so little data out there on teenagers with HLHS. I do know that our children are breaking the mold and someday the data will catch up with them. In the meanwhile, the best data comes from those who tell the stories best - young adults with HLHS - the warriors!  I have been blessed to meet a great group of those heart warriors!

Over the years I have met several really neat teenagers with HLHS and they offer such inspiration to us heart parents!  It's hard to believe these teenagers are grown up and young adults now; they are out in the world living their lives and doing amazing things!  One young lady in particular who has been such an inspiration to me and many other heart families is Megan Broucek. Megan shares stories of her life as a teenager; her trials and tributes, and does so with such a great perspective. Meagan, like many other young adults with HLHS are happy to answer questions and share their stories so I encourage you to read her stories of life as teenager on her Facebook page: Meagan Broucek's Facebook Page.


My very best to you and your families,

Julie


4 comments:

  1. I can proudly tell you that I love you, even though people have laughed, it was so ordinary thing always.
    ---
    biet thu dep hien dai | thiet ke nha xinh | cong ty nha xinh| biet thu dep co dien

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can proudly tell you that I love you, even though people have laughed, it was so ordinary thing always.
    ---
    biet thu dep hien dai | thiet ke nha xinh | cong ty nha xinh| biet thu dep co dien

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regards to Health and fitness. One of the best way to treat heart problem is alternative to bypass surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, fatigue, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete